Premier State Ballet Youth Ballet Company provides the opportunity for students from The McDonald College, The McDonald After Hours Program, and external auditioned students to become members of a semi-professional ballet company.
For nearly 30 years, The McDonald College has run a pre-professional youth ballet company called Premier State Ballet (PSB), which provides the opportunity for students aged 12-18 years to audition to become a member of a ballet company. Each year, PSB performs three shows of either a full-length ballet production or a triple bill. The performances are held at Riverside Theatre, Parramatta, in mid-September and enjoyed by audiences across Sydney.
Premier State Ballet is directed by former Principal Artist of The Australian Ballet Joshua Consandine and assisted by the McDonald College’s Head of Ballet, Jane Kesby. Rehearsals are held on Saturday afternoons and members must be prepared to work throughout the July school holiday period and to attend rehearsals whenever called by the Artistic Director. PSB Alumni includes:
- Robert Curran Artistic Director of Louisville Ballet
- Amanda McGuigan Australian Ballet
- Damian Smith Principal Artist, San Francisco Ballet
- Lachlan Monaghan Birmingham Ballet
- Terence Kohler Artistic Director, International Summer School
- Serena Green Queensland Ballet
- Kayla-Maree Tarantolo Scottish Ballet
- Harrison Lee Royal Ballet
- Lauren Songberg English National Ballet School
The next round of auditions will be held in February 2020. Find out more here.