At the forefront of ballet training in Australia, The McDonald College Classical Ballet Stream provides excellence in tuition from four years of age to a pre-professional level. With a holistic approach towards the student, a thorough and complete training program is offered through a variety of open class work, Royal Academy of Dance examination syllabus work, various well being and conditioning classes whilst completing their formal school education in a nurturing and creative environment.
With a training program designed to introduce the necessary fundamental skills for a pre-professional career in dance, we aim to guide the unique qualities & strengths of each dancer towards the best place for further education. Each student has a choice of the number of hours that they wish to commit to their ballet training with an education program designed to suit the individual.
PRIMARY & SECONDARY BALLET
Primary students study 4 ½ hours of classical ballet training per week, which includes a contemporary production class.
Year 7 and 8 students are introduced to the standard Ballet Stream program offering 10 hours of training per week which includes open class work, pointe, boys coaching, contemporary and production classes for the end of year performance at the Sydney Opera House.
Year 9 and 10 students are given greater opportunity to further their ballet training with elective ballet subjects offered rather than taking academic elective studies. These classes include Pilates, yoga and body conditioning, well-being & self-esteem workshops, specialised coaching for boys, pointe and variations, pas de deux, ballet knowledge, stagecraft, contemporary and production classes including participation in the youth ballet company, the Premier State Ballet and the end of year Sydney Opera House performance.
Year 11 and 12 students have several options with their academic studies:
- Complete and full HSC with 10 hours of ballet stream classes per week
- Partial HSC by studying English and 2 HSC subjects with more time spent on their classical ballet training. These students could complete their HSC with an extra year 13.
HSC Dance is also offered as a two-unit subject which includes performance, composition and dance appreciation. Regular performance excursions are offered through out the year to companies such as Sydney Dance Company and Bangarra. Elective ballet stream classes include Pilates, yoga and body conditioning, well-being & self-esteem workshops, specialised coaching for boys, pointe and variations, pas de deux, ballet knowledge, stagecraft, contemporary and production classes including participation in the youth ballet company, the Premier State Ballet and the end of year Sydney Opera House performance. Further After Hours ballet classes are offered and encouraged for all ballet students, which includes other genres of dance, performance and eisteddfod work.
- An Evening of Classical Ballet, which is held annually at the Sydney Opera House
- Premier State Ballet – a Youth Ballet Company with three performances at the Parramatta Riverside, Theatre
- High Performance Week at the NIDA theatre
- After Hours Eisteddfod groups in Ballet, Contemporary and Lyrical styles
- International competitions such as and not limited to the Alana Haines Awards in New Zealand
- College assemblies, Open Days and formal functions
- Local community organisations and groups
- Extra opportunities with the Australian Ballet Sydney season when required
Many graduates from the Classical Ballet Stream are now enjoying further study in various international finishing schools such as the Royal Ballet School, the Australian Ballet School and the English Ballet School to name just a few. Successful professional careers are being developed with the Australian Ballet, Queensland Ballet, West Australian Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and Béjart Ballet Lausanne.
Our holistic approach to the training of each student results in a well-trained and healthy dancer with true appreciation for this beautiful art form. Each student’s journey is individual and we aim to support, guide and assist them as they prepare to further their training for a career in the theatre or else-where. The benefits of our ballet training will carry them for the rest of their lives giving them deportment, sound knowledge of body awareness with safe dance practices, musicality, discipline, punctuality, presentation and confidence.
- Robert Curran Artistic Director of Louisville Ballet
- Amanda McGuigan Australian Ballet
- Damian Smith Principal Artist, San Francisco Ballet
- Lachlan Monaghan Birmingham Ballet
- Terence Kohler Artistic Director, International Summer School
- Serena Green Queensland Ballet
- Kayla-Maree Tarantolo Scottish Ballet
- Harrison Lee Royal Ballet School
- Lauren Songberg English National Ballet School