Alumni Spotlight | Mojean Aria

When asked about what winning the Heath Ledger scholarship meant to him, Mojean said it was “life-changing”. The former student was the 9th recipient of the prestigious award earlier this year, which recognises emerging actors in Australia in memory of the late actor. Now establishing his career in the U.S., Mojean will be another rising talent to watch, and he will also feature in a new Australian mini-series with Rachel Griffiths, which is due for release in 2018. 

Can you tell us about your time in the U.S. working as an actor and what you’ve been up to?

I’ve been finding teachers all over who have helped me to continue to develop in my work. I’ve been very fortunate to work with some exceptional directors who are deeply invested in their stories. In short, I’ve been all over the country giving myself to different stories and continuing to focus on developing in my craft.  

Earlier in the year you were honoured as the recipient of the Heath Ledger scholarship. How has this award changed your life? 

It gave me the opportunity to meet many exceptional people – both creatives and people who navigate the business of this art. I now have a terrific team of agents and managers and strong relationships with people who I used to admire from afar as great sources of inspiration.  

How has your College training helped you to be industry-ready?

There are a great many lessons that can be learned through the arts, not just for your profession but personally. Being able to be immersed in them every day I’m sure has had more positive impacts on me then I can even consider to specifically contemplate at the moment. 

You recently worked on a film that has been shortlisted for the Oscars. Can you tell us more about this project and any upcoming works?

Often times when you’re seeking success you go after working with veterans and you misjudge the importance of passion. This project was brought to me by a very young team and I was foolishly skeptical and needed convincing. I can now say that working with director Abi Damaris Corbin and her exceptional creatives has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my life. Something I’ve learnt is to think ‘outside the box’ and look for worthy collaborators.

The next thing you’ll see me in is an Australian mini-series I made alongside Rachel Griffiths titled Dead Lucky. It’s a classic strong-willed cop thriller with a fresh multicultural storyline, which showcases Sydney for what it really is. 

What is the most valuable piece of career advice that you’ve been given?

Take your time and stay healthy. 

You may also be interested in reading: